Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Welcome to Your New Life, Riley

October 10th, 2010. The day, I picked up my neutered dog from the shelter. I couldn't wait to get him, and was antsy at work all day. This was the day I had been waiting for my whole life. I've always wanted a dog, but never was able to because of school, lack of funds, and time. I had just finished my master's degree, and started a full-time job. I thought this was the perfect opportunity that now I finally have time to own a dog.  So back to picking up Riley on that day. He was a 2-4 year old terrier mix, 30lbs, and looked a bit malnourished and sad. When we visited him at the shelter, he mainly sniffed other dogs on the other side of the fence, let us pet him, and wasn't really interested in toys. The sheriff from Yolo Co. Animal Service (aka the pound) called me and said, "Do you still want this dog? Come pick him up if you do!" I quickly raced to the shelter. He was dosed with pain medication after his neuter that day, didn't what was going on as I loaded him into my car. The crate I had gotten him was half his size, so he rode in the passenger seat with me. I will never forget how scared he was when we drove under the overpasses. He would duck, as if the overpass was going to collapse onto him. Finally we get home, he was still pretty out of it, and went to bed on a blanket on the kitchen floor. Welcome to the first day of the rest of your life, Riley.



No comments:

Post a Comment